Tonight, my man saved the day… literally, and the house, our children, and me. I made a huge mistake and turned on the wrong burner on the stove. I meant to boil water, and instead I turned a pan of grease onto high. My mistake almost seriously harmed my husband and burnt our house down. Luckily, my manly husband saved the day… but in the process got 2nd and 3rd degree burns.
My son came running into the bathroom screaming “there’s a fire in the kitchen!” I ran toward the kitchen to be met with smoke so thick I was choking, and instantly saw 6 foot flames in the kitchen doorway… on the floor. I see behind that my dear, sweet husband, and my heart dropped.
My husband had smelled the smoke and raced to the kitchn in-time to see the pan (and the stove) catch fire and flames shoot up over the microwave range-hood. He, not knowing it was a grease fire, threw water on it, which ignited it even more. He couldn’t find the extinguisher and grabbed the pan to take it outside. When he grabbed the pan, grease splashed up on his hand and his hand caught on fire… so, naturally, he dropped the pan on the floor. It was at this point that grease splatter about 6 foot across the floor, and the grease, naturally, caught on fire… thus, shooting 6 foot flames into the air. All that died down, my hubby picked up the still burning pan, and carried it toward the door. Again, it got too hot to hold and he dropped it again, before finally getting it outside.
In the end, we have a few black marks on the wall behind the stove, one burn mark on the wood floor by the back door (the perfect size of our pan), and my dear husband has burns on two fingers and his thumb. All-in-all, this could have been SO much worse, and we could have lost so much in that instant that my mistake became a disaster.
GOD IS GOOD!!! I believe with all my heart that the only reason my husband is safe, and our house is still standing, is because God was watching him and the rest of us in those moments.